1991 Self Talks to 2012 Self

I just passed in ten pages of a chapter for my writing workshop and my mind is rather deep in 1991. I was studying in London at the time and took my first trip to Poland as an adult. So I’m having a hard time switching gears back to the blogosphere. My 2012 self is talking to my 1991 self and we’re having quite the conversation. It’s interesting to notice streaks of wisdom with forehead slapping -you were so 19! Not that I did too many stupid things just that when you’re that young, you’re brave with inexperience.

While I didn’t write about my wardrobe I was thinking about what I wore back then: Black tights with jean shorts, Doc Martens, a plaid shirt and a velvet hat, rim tipped up.  I swear on my life that was fashionable. (I think.)

I wore Juba-Juba Perfume Oil from The Body Shop. Sometimes I dipped myself in it when I knew I was going to the University of London Union and would see the bartender I had a crush on. He was tall and looked like a cross between a greaser from the 50s and a New Wave punk rocker. I got heart bubbles every time I saw him. I might have been the most perfumed Grunge girl on the planet. I imagine the fragrance coming off of me like Pig Pen’s cloud of dust only mine was of the clean and flowery variety. People still talked to me. That was good. No luck with the bartender though.

I can’t say that I didn’t have self-conscious thoughts back then. What teenager isn’t self-conscious? But it is fortifying to see how little fear existed in everything I did.  Whether it was traveling alone to Dublin for a week or flying to Poland with a mission to meet family (some I had never met before, some I hadn’t seen in 16 years )or wearing my best plaid to talk to a punky bartender,  I did so with curiosity leading the way. I just went with it. No noise. Nothing to overcome. Nothing to reason out.  The motivation of doing what I wanted was pure.

It’s good to know that 19 year old is still inside me. It hollers up to my almost 40 year old self and says, Keep going!

11 comments on “1991 Self Talks to 2012 Self

1. Young B. Kim says:

Love the term “heart bubbles.” Your post today made me realize that it wasn’t until a few years ago that my 19 year self finally re-united with my almost 40 year old self. Ah, to be THAT “Young” again :-)

For the record, The musician Andrew Bird also also gives me heart bubbles!I’m glad your 19 year old self reunited with your almost 40 year old self. A perfect pair.

2. Pam says:

I remember that Jannett! And I admired your confidence then – something I was still working on for many years after that.

Surely you mean that you remember the Juba-Juba over my confidence Pam, as I walked around with an atomic amount. Good thing we had that big window so I didn’t overpower my three lovely roommates with a fresia bomb.
      Seriously though- thanks for your admiration. Gives me heart bubbles.

3. Susanna says:

I think we are the same age – and I was just talking with some college friends a while back, wondering what was up with the jean shorts/tights combo! I had Juba Juba, too – had forgotten that. Love the phrase “brave with inexperience” – exactly!

I think we are too Susanna! I wouldn’t have believed I dressed this way but I have far too many pictures proving otherwise. I guess Grunge was hot back then! I completely forgot about Juba Juba until I had the flashback about the clothes which reminded me of London which brought up the crush on the bartender which brought up the primal urge of dousing myself with flowers to attract a man. bahaha! Thanks for reading.

4. Tom L says:

J, At 43 and inside I’m just approaching 23

Tom L

5. Adam Matusiak says:

“Hey…. teacher …. leave them kids alone!” – Pink Floyd The Wall. We should all break down the walls that we have created for ourselves.

6. Holly De Santis says: